(Graduation) Assignment ZiuZ Medical – Automatic pill counting and identification
Vacature van ZiuZ Visual Intelligence
ICT Mechatronics Computer science
In the USA all medication is packed in bulk bottles by the pharmaceutical manufacturers. These bottles are put on stocked by pharmacies. If a patient comes to collect their prescribed medication, a ‘Pharmacist technician’ manually opens the bulk bottle, manually counts and checks the pills and puts them in a ‘vial’ (small bottle). A Pharmacist check the vial before this is handed over to the patient.
This process takes quite some time (cost; waiting time) and is prone for errors (patient safety at risk).
There are already a couple of high end, high speed, high investment devices on the market that help pharmacies to automate these tasks but not all medication is covered and for some pharmacies / processes the price is too high to make a decent ROI. Ideally ZiuZ can provide a device that solves the ‘low end’ medication distribution problem.
Develop a first concept solution that can count pills and check their identity (via vision, sensors, weight, ….) in a relatively fast and secure way. The quantity of pills is the content of one bulk bottle.
EXPECTED END PRODUCT
- a conceptual description of the process and problem areas
- a working prototype for at least one of the critical process steps (choice can be made taking the students background/study into account).
TASK DESCRIPTION/INTERNSHIP REQUIREMENTS
- Conceptual thinker but bias for action;
- Affinity with Mechatronics;
- Affinity with cameras and vision technology;
- Experience with independent programming;
- Ability to work independently but also in a team.